Tuesday, March 12, 2019

A BLUR of activity!

March 11th proved to be a BLUR of activity.  First, I got up about 4:00 a.m. on the old time, had coffee, and then realized hey I can walk to the checkpoint as there will be people up!  So off I went . . .
Not a lot happening at about 6:00a a.m. The checkpoint it was quiet, the communication folks were up and busy, Jeff King was heading to bed and realized he was still on the old time, Allen Moore was still there, and we were the only folks up in the village.

I think this sled was Jeff King's.  I didn't get close to any team as there sleep is highly valuable!

I believe is Martin Buser coming into the checkpoint.  The race was going on so I missed both him and Lance's arrival! Dang it!

Martin's arrival into Unalakleet.

The man below with no bib is Martin Apayauq Reitan's dad, Ketil Reitan. Ketil was watching the ski race, and at the last minute, I asked him to join in the race.  He quickly joined us and skied the race on his backcountry gear and what a beautiful classic skier!


Skiku organization promotes skiing in rural Alaska and they are here for the week working with our community.

Community Race Awards!

No comments: