Honestly, I am not sure where I am going with this post but I feel I need to say something about this fact "I don't eat WHEAT!" It has been almost 3 years ago that I stopped eating wheat as an experiment. I started on the winter solstice and went until the summer solstice. I had hoped if I made it a month that would be great but after a month I felt so much better I didn't want to stop. I made 6 months and I didn't want to stop and now well I just don't eat wheat. I have been lax at times about other grains--organic popcorn. I have not wheat as far as I know. UNTIL LAST NIGHT! We were invited to a friends house for dinner and were told we would have halibut. Once we walked in there was homemade bread which is fine as we were not the only ones dining. Our host said that she made the bread and was a bit miffed when I said, "Oh I don't eat wheat" which we have discussed several times as she is a vegetarian. Since we have had this discussion a few times and since she is a vegetarian I figured things would work out ok.
I will admit that I have not asked others if they have food issues at all over the years. But I would say the last decade I would ask people is there anything you do not eat, or can you eat spicy food or not--basic questions about preparing a meal.
I feel the issue is if no one asks you about what foods you eat or don't eat; then you should eat what is being served as best you can. Since I was not directly asked about food issues and I didn't say, "Oh I don't eat wheat" then I sat down to a beautifully prepared eggplant parmigiana. It was not heavily floured. I ate a fairly good sized piece and took off flour fried coating when it was possible. Dessert was a stunning cheesecake and I ate the cheesecake part but not the graham cracker crust.
I was worried that I would get a headache or be up all night from consuming some wheat but I wasn't. I did feel a bit off in the lower intestine area. I feel pretty good this morning just a bit off again but nothing horrible. I have read about people being sick for days after consuming wheat again. This does not mean I will start eating wheat again. I feel better not consuming wheat. Minor aches and pains are gone, mental clarity is stronger, lower carbs means lower weight on the scale, and I eat a healthier diet now that I have eliminated wheat from my food list.
My point is if you are invited over you eat what is served as best you can! If you are asked if you have any foods you can not eat then you let your host know about these foods. I think the world has/is changing and more people are asking their guests about food issues.
Great sites if you are interested in reading more on being wheat free or finding new recipes for special lifestyle eating:
https://elanaspantry.com/
https://minimalistbaker.com/
http://www.gourmetgirlcooks.com/
http://honeyvillefarms.blogspot.com/
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/
https://www.drperlmutter.com/
https://undoctored.com/

No comments:
Post a Comment