Sunday, September 17, 2017

Tundra Time and The Knee

We are of course all the way back up north for another school year. Classes have started up in full force. We (as in us and the village) are all back to the school routines.

I am up five days a week at 5:00 a.m. to take the dogs out, enjoy that precious first cup of coffee, check email and then off to "The Refugio" as I call the waxroom this time of the year.  The village is usually silent at this early hour. I love greeting my day in peace and quiet.  We have had some northern lights when we were first back. HOWEVER, major bummer since being back almost every morning our skies have been cloudy. Even with all the solar flares which give us great northern lights due to the clouds, I was not able to view the lights!

I am now at week 8 after knee surgery.  I am really doing very well and I have learned to be patient, to go easy when my knee is feeling a bit rough, to push myself with my PT routines, and that time is the major factor in recovery.  Some weeks were painful with a good dose of discomfort, other weeks my knee felt great.  I can say both of my legs are now in far better shape and have equal strength.  I am thrilled that Whitefish Therapy & Sprot Center is willing to help me through emails as I really needed a bit more support and new goals being out here 400 air miles from anything!

Tally and her boy back on the tundra.

A bit buggy back in Aug. I am not using poles as I forgot them. I now always take ski poles with me to help with the rough tundra surface.

Since we got back a bit later the fireweed was over flowering but thick as can be this year.

The traditional tea break on the tundra.  We were out picking blueberries.

Miss Sadie who loves to be outside even more than me!

She also enjoys a great rest once back home.

Sweet Peas from the beach.

Nice cappuccino and dark chocolate . . . really who could ask for more!

The SkiErg and The Refugio my mornings five days a week.

My workout partner who is patiently waiting for the walk back home.

I can now walk on the uneven beach surface.  I don't go there often as I am waiting for all the dead fish that litters the beach to go out to sea.  Dogs roll in and eating dead salmon is a rather gross affair either we stink or puke!


Tundra Gal

Soon we will be skiing on that hillside!

Tundra blues with a few cranberries tossed into the mix.

Here is how I kept track of wall sits for my knee rehab---rocks for counting out how many . . . I had to do something!  I am of the theory if you screw up counting you have to start from the beginning!

Yet more time in The Refugio

Ground cover has changed fast this year however the temps are fairly warm still which seems kind of strange!

Cotton Grass and this always makes me think of the Jan Brett book: Trouble With Trolls, Jan is one of my favorite kids' authors and illustrators.

Hiking with poles and look at that color!  One of the things I will miss when our time on the tundra is done.

Nice colors to make the black dog show up!  Tally loves a log not a stick!

Fall colors dance across the tundra . . .

Fall Invitational running race and my WolfPup runners!



2 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

Wait what? You aren't going to be there forever? How can I live vicariously through you???

shandy said...

Great pictures of your outdoors! Sounds as though you are making good progress with the knee.