Saturday, September 23, 2017

FOOD!

Who doesn't love FOOD!  I am often asked how do you get food living 400 air miles from any major stores.  We do buy food before we come out to the village and ship it out to ourselves.  This food tends to be the staples.  We also order food on Amazon often throughout the year.  We stopped eating wheat 3 years ago. We do need to order items that will never ever be stocked in our two small stores here in the village.  

We just switched to a new produce vendor.  I am very happy with their produce, shipping rates and packaging.  Alaska Food NetWork is proving to be a great new company here in Alaska.

Last weekends Maple Walnut Scones made with almond flour.

Bee's Wrap is another great new discovery!  So far everything I have used Bee's Wrap on has stored great!

The heat from your hands helps to seal the wrap. 

Scones were fine for the few days they lasted!

The wraps come in a variety of sizes.  Under this wrap is a nice organic apple crisp.

Melon stored well in the frig with Bee's Wrap and no discoloring.


I am always after the perfect crisp cookie!  These came out pretty good but I think I could work with the recipe a bit more.  Almond flour, crystallized ginger, ginger snap.  I scooped out the dough and then flattened them with parchment paper.  I did this to have a flat, crisper cookie.





Our first box from Alaska Food NetWork and it was a treat!  Everything we ordered was int he box, items were packed well, and nothing was damaged.

Look at this fresh produce yummy!

This was a medium size organic box.  I did add a few more items to our box.  You can pick Alaska Grown produce, organic, or regular grocery store items.


Meat!  It is moose season and there were 34 moose up for the hunt this year.  The moose population here was hunted to very low numbers 12 years ago and there was no moose hunting.  They let the numbers return and slowly have been increasing the amount each year.  Our neighbour across from us is one of the hardest working people I know.  He is in constant motion whether he is fishing, hunting, getting his family out into the country he just goes from sun up to sun down.

Moose meat hanging.

Here is a nice piece we were given which is the village thing to do is to share your kills.  This will become a moose stew today.


I just love this note!  In my class, I always tell parents:  "Please don't let school get in the way of your child's education!" If something has come up just write a note and it is fine to miss out on homework.  One of the families who ski with us wrote this note for their son who is in my class this year.  The dad skis and his two kids.
The kids brought this by our house the other night.  Fresh veggies from their garden and a beautiful piece of moose meat.  All of this will be heading into the moose stew I will be making today! 

Never worry we are not starving out here on the tundra living 400 air miles from a wide variety of shopping options.  I have become interested in better quality food, and where my food comes from.  I look forward to the time in the kitchen creating healthier meals and treats for us here on the tundra.


No comments: