![]() | |
| The sweater is done! This is what I call a barn sweater: functional, durable, wearable in many conditions, useful, a workhorse sweater that will be used for hiking and outdoor activities. Knitted in Jamieson's of Shetland Chunky Weight. |
I am not sure others knit like this or in this fashion. I must have some connection to either place, yarn, design there is something that pulls me to knit an item with a certain yarn that will eventually become a story. This sweater, yarn, and location will meld itself together into Eleanor my mother and her story through my eyes, fingers, needles, and yarn.
I leave tomorrow for a rather long air flight to New Jersey. For the amount of time, it will take me to travel I could be going to Scotland to walk in the Lake district or the Shetland Isles. I will fly from the village I live in on the Bering Sea to Anchorage about 400 miles away if the weather allows a plane to land and take off. Once in Anchorage, I will meet up with some ski friends and head to a dinner. I will come back to the airport and wait for my 12:33 a.m. departure to Seattle. I believe I arrive in Seattle close to 5:00 a.m. I will be off for some good coffee and a nice walk around the airport to get the blood flowing. I will board another plane and take off for Philadelphia about 8:00 a.m. Fly non-stop to Philly and land around 4:30 p.m. My sister will pick me up and hustle me to my mother's home.
There I will find an aging Eleanor who is struggling with growing old and its limitations. For me it will be a look into the future will I age like this, will I have the same ailments, the same struggles, will I be alone, will I what? What will I find? What will I see? What will Mom be like? Shorter, almost deaf, aging . . . we all age and we all will struggle some more than others.
The sweater is coming with me for several reasons! I need to knit on such a long flight, I need to have something to do once I am at my mom's house. She can talk and tell her stories I can knit and listen. Those stories will be knitted into my Eleanor that I will wear for years to come. Like Eleanor the yarn is strong and sturdy it is Shetland chunky weight yarn with depth. Three strands spun together a dark grey, a light grey, and a slate blue-grey.
![]() |
| The soccer champ and his coach/dad. |
![]() |
| This is the Jazz part of Eleanor as well this yarn needed a burst of life! A nice Briggs and Little Regal 100% wool yarn to give this sweater a bit of JAZZ! |
![]() |
| Briggs and Little Yarn Regal from Schoolhouse Press. |
![]() |
| Eleanor doing one of the things she loves which is working in her yard and garden. This is one of the things aging is causing issues with for her. |
![]() |
| Eleanor all Jazzed up! |









1 comment:
Great sweater, Nancy! My mother too was called Eleanor. She suffered from vascular dementia in her later years, which was very distressing for her. But what a marathon journey you have to undertake just to see her. Well done you!
Post a Comment