Friday, April 19, 2019

Counting Days

Day 116 on skis!
I always know how many days a year I ski.  I don't know how many days a year I hike, bike, paddle, swim, walk, knit, read or anything else, but for a few reasons, I count my days on skis.  My father in law and avid skier and outdoorsman always smirks at my days on skis and wonders why would I count them just ski!  Which I totally get----why count?  There has always been something about getting in 100 days on skis . . . in the ski bum world. A ski coaching friend got me turned on to counting my days during my time here in Alaska.  For years now I count my days on skis.

The main reasons is not a competition with others. It is just a way of getting one out the door. I know all kinds of people who say "I ski" or do some activity and then they might only do this activity a few times during the given season.  I guess I might be a bit harsh, but that doesn't seem like getting out the door often enough in my books.  Keeping track of days on skis gives me a goal, gets me out the door, promotes a healthier me, and is just right for us all no matter what!

My goal this year as for many years has been to hit 125 days a year on skis.  I am closer than ever, but I doubt I will arrive at that number this year.  I am presently at 116 days and should be able to ski a few more days before I travel south and east for a family visit. Now if the weather holds like this week, I might be able to ski more once I get back to Alaska.  It has been in the teens and twenties at night and hasn't gotten above +32ºF this week.  This certainly helps keep the ski trails covered in snow.

The most important things about counting ski days are the fact that it keeps me moving, and gets me out the door.  I know outside activity is really a great thing for overall health both mentally and physically!

Like the Norwegian saying I came across a few years ago, "The longest mile is to the door!"






No comments: