Technology:
Food for thought. . . how we use technology why we use and how much we should use this tool. I struggle with this as well but I firmly believe we all spend too much time engaged with some device instead of talking to the people around us!Knitting:
After Thanksgiving the lights went up, cookies have been baked and more on this below. Knitting continues on this Lopi!
This sweater that has been named Lopi-Lou is really close to being done. I started it as a Fall Knit Along (KAL) through The Woolly Thistle group. I had to rework the pattern a bit as I don't need a close-fitting sweater.

Then the neck was a pain in the butt! The pattern has a different neckline which is not one I like. I needed a real stand up collar. After frogging it out about 15 times, yes 15
times--I got it! I now need to graft the underarms. The last step before blocking with be the cuffs on the sleeves which I am sure will be a knitted and hemmed cuff.
A great treat I received from The Woolly Thistle with my December yarn order was chocolate! How can you not support an online store that includes chocolate in your order! I am falling in love with this Norwegian yarn as well and need to cast on a hat with it pronto! The yarn is RAUMA and I have now purchased some different colored skeins to mess around with twice in Finullgarn weight.
The other great purchase which I just finished reading is Kate Davies Handywomen. If you have not read this book I highly recommend it as an interesting read. Kate is an excellent writer and has shared her story in an engaging unique style. A few times her story took my breath away made me pause. I am grateful for the life I have and I will forever be more aware of the needs of others.
Cleo:
Some of you will remember Cleo she is now gone. I enjoyed her and her quirky personality. Her milk was excellent. I didn't own her but helped take care of her a bit. She is now in a freezer and will become some middle eastern dishes at their home. I really enjoyed visiting her and bring her veggie scraps. It was nice in this northern realm to be back in a barn of sorts with a goat!Wheat:
I have gone on the grand experiment with wheat. I stopped eating wheat I think about 3 years ago. I have recently reintroduced wheat back into my diet. I started this process with Einkorn Wheat. This is the oldest form of wheat. You can read more about it through the link above. I have now had plain old processed white wheat too with no issues. Why have I done this--well good question. Part of the reason is I will be going to Europe in Sept 2019 to trek around Mont Blanc. I didn't want to be the pain in the ass person with food issues. Plus, I want to eat croissants and other lovely European bread! What have I learned on this "No Wheat" journey?1. Try your best to eat foods without a label.
2. Eat organic as much as possible.
3. Stay away from items with lots of ingredients/processed foods.
4. I got this off of Outside magazine online:
There’s a reason Michael Pollan wrote a whole book on nutrition that can be condensed into seven words:
“Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”
5. Not eating wheat taught me to look at food and its production.
6. That much of today's health issue can be controlled by each of us and what we think we must have or need to eat.
7. keep moving no matter what
8. The Blue Zone lifestyle and eating are more to my liking and one I am exploring a bit more. It is simple, it works, and is not so cumbersome.
Returning to eating eat has not been a huge physical issue as many reported. I am not eating crap food and I feel fine.
Jan Brett:
Oh my gosh, my dear friend, Lynn was able to go and meet Jan Brett at her local bookstore. She had a wonderful visit with her and husband. I now have a signed copy of her current book thanks to Lynn's visit. I adore Jan's books and artwork. When I taught I used her website for drawing lessons. Her books were my December staple for Christmas stories. The Snowy Nap is a cute tale of Hedgie's wish to see winter.
Skiing, Dogs, Skiing with The team, & Grooming Ski Trails:
Our dogs hate dog booties. When you live someplace that is often below 0ºF our dogs need booties. Once they have them on their paws and are out the door they have a blast and certainly run more. Once they walk inside the house they lay down until the booties are removed. We use them over and over until they are worn out. We buy our booties from a mushers supply store here in Alaska.It is now the time of the year were we just ski a lot! I love to ski, I love being outside, and I love sharing skiing with others. This ski season is off to a wonderful start. We are getting snow and little winds! It is really a joy skiing this year on the shores of Norton Sound.
The Whale Back mountains west of Unalakleet in stunning afternoon light!
This is the ski teams new snowmachine which is used to groom our ski trails. We were awarded a grant through the Rasmuson Foundation. This snowmachine will be a great addition to our YTS groomer. Grooming trails here is a HUGE undertaking and Christian does an excellent job. It is all about working with the wind and not fighting the winds.
Beautiful fresh corduroy to cruise on makes for good skiers and a healthier community.
We have found pallets cut in half and tied together in this fashion builds good size drifts. Below you can see the pallets spread out across the tundra. This area would be windswept and bare! The pallets cause the right size drifts to build and then Christian grooms these drifts. The pallets are moved through the winter to keep the tundra ski route covered in skiable snow.
Skiers on the slough using hoops for a technique drill.
Snow pallets in action and Christian grooming the Dragon's Back where we ski.
A good groomer knows when it is time to shovel and move snow. I am sure we look like the strangest people ever out on the tundra shoveling snow!
Elementary skiers joined by some of their parents!
This has been a goal of ours is to get the parents out on skis too!
Race Team skiers with the moon rising above them before Christmas as we head to our darkest day.I love that our skiers show up to practice on snowmachines. The old coach walks over to practice and then skis across the slough!
Tally is not about the stick she is about the log. She hauls these huge logs all over the place!
Styling Miss Sadie could be on Monica Zappa's race dog team she has the teams bright colors down!
Tally taking a breather on our ski home last week.
Nulato Hills shine in late afternoon light. On the other side of those hills, lies the mighty Yukon River.
Mid-December ski practice on top of Picnic Hill.
Snow on trees which is happening a lot this year. One of my favorite things is to see Mother Nature's frosting on evergreens.
Oh, the Girls being dog royalty.
Tally and I on a late afternoon ski---the light on the tundra is always breathtaking.
Winter Solstice Ski:
The bonfire is raging, the moon was almost full, skiers headlamps can be seen skiing around the Dragon's Back. Skiers welcome the winter season once again!
An internet grab of Solstice artwork.
Miss Sadie & I thank you for making it through this long post!





































10 comments:
Thanks for your wonderful blog.
I too went off wheat for a couple of years. Then I found that if I ate organic or non gmo wheat things were OK. After doing more reading I’m not eating ancient wheats when possible and taking probiotics when not.
Happy Holidays.
I wanted to reply to the comment above as I wrote to ask "smokeyblue" about her reply. It should say she only eats "ancient wheats/grains" when possible and things are fine.
What's up, this weekend is nice designed for me, because this
point in time i am reading this great educational piece of writing here at my house.
Very nice write-up. I certainly love this site.
Keep writing!
Thank you all!
I believe this web site has got some real great information for everyone :D.
Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thank you, However
I am going through troubles with your RSS.
I don?t understand the reason why I am unable to subscribe to it.
Is there anyone else getting the same RSS problems?
Anyone that knows the solution can you kindly respond?
Thanx!!
I really like your writing style, good information, regards for putting up :D.
I blog frequently and I seriously thank you for your content.
This great article has really peaked my interest.
I'm going to book mark your website and keep checking for new information about once
per week. I subscribed to your RSS feed as well.
I like this weblog so much, bookmarked.
Post a Comment