My sister sent me a great Birthday package filled with fun and yummy goodies. One treat that was an enjoyable read down memory lane was: Birds Eat and Eat and Eat by Roma Gans and Illustrated by Ed Emberley.
This book is from first grade. I remember reading it and looking through the pictures endlessly. We made the bird feeder that is described in the book. My mom always had bird feeders and her bird book was right on the kitchen table for most of my life.This book was purchased through the school's Weekly Reader Book Club. Any of you remember that newsprint flyer? Kids still love these flyers and ordering books
this way today. I know as I retired from the classroom this spring and kids still looked forward to ordering books. On the author's page, I found it interesting that she wrote a book titled Common Sense in Teaching Reading. I googled this title and found a copy which I placed on hold! I am sure this book reflects a completely different approach in reading!

I know we have missed the boat in the American classroom when it comes to teaching reading. Part of the reason I left teaching is all the TESTING! The constant farming of data on other peoples children-TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING! Reading is not about words per minute!
Reading is the love of adventures, learning, exploring, meeting new friends between the covers of a book. Reading is a hot cup of tea or choco on a stormy day while cuddled up with a great book. Reading is a hammock with a hot summer breeze and endless words bring you one adventure after the next.

Reading has nothing what-so-ever to do with constant monitoring of a young developing reader!
I sat down with Birds Eat and Eat and Eat with a nice new cup, filled with a new tea, and my new favorite delicious treat called Packaroons!


1 comment:
So, how is retirement suiting you, Nancy - I ask, as I sit here sipping an Earl Grey tea from a favourite cup. I could just eat one of those Packaroons you have there.
Post a Comment