![]() |
| As you can see here we ski on anything. My first year out here I didn't but I know now snow means: ski no matter what! The tundra plant life is very forgiving and rocks are few and far between. Gear: Alpina BackCountry NNN boots, and a great pair of Rossignol 70 BC Ski. I love having a leather lace up boot and a great pair of touring/BC waxless skis! My favorite set up for skiing here on the tundra. |
Why?
I love snow and its many forms. I love the coolness and crispness winter brings to the air. I love watching snow fall straight down. This is a bit of a rare thing here in Unalakleet, so when it happens I really love to take it in and just watch the angels fall from the sky. I love the peace and quiet that descends on the village with falling snow. The winter blanket of winter is a welcome sight to me!
The other aspect of winter I love compounded by being in the far north is of course the lights! The Aurora Borealis is nothing short of spectacular. I love seeing the dancing shimmering lights at night. Until you actually get to see them you can not truly imagine their beauty. I often see them on the 5 a.m. morning dog walk. They arch and stretch out across our sky. The natives believe they are their elders. I love the notion of the elders watching over us. If you whistle at them they will move according to lore. A goal I have this winter is to get our big camera out and go take photos of the light here at night. I often can look right out my bedroom window and watch the lights.
Below are some photos a ski coach friend took last week from his yurt in a village along the coast north of us. He had them on facebook and I asked if I could share them as well. I liked these as these are often the lights we see here green, darting, and swirling across our night sky.
![]() |
| I must say life looks pretty wonderful in his yurt under the light! |
![]() |
| This photo is by a local photographer here in Unalakleet. The photo was taken looking down the slough towards the cannery and the Unalakleet River. |







No comments:
Post a Comment