Alaska Fall

First official day of FROST!
As you would imagine Fall starts well before the Fall Equinox here in Alaska.  When you live this far north life is on a different time scale.  Right now it is moose season and most the natives in the village are out hunting a moose.  This makes for a quieter village which I do enjoy.  Fishing for salmon has mellowed out as well and berry picking is slowing down unless you are after cranberries.  The cranberries this year are bountiful, huge, and every where on the tundra.  We have had a frost but only one and the temps are mostly 40ºF at night and still hitting the 50ºF during the day.  We have not taken the full plunge to a serious fall yet.  The tundra is a glow in its fall blanket of yellows, oranges, reds all heading to browns and greys soon.  The fall is fast and quick here as the changes just jump out at you from day to day.

Shopping

Every year before we return to village life and work we have to shop in Anchorage.  This event is not one of my favorite things to do but it is a must!  We have two small stores in the village.  I have to admit they carry a reasonable variety of foods.  No matter what  it is still nice to have a larger selection of food for the year.  We head to Costco and buy a lot of food to ship up north for the school year.

Now that we don't eat wheat we are buying less process foods like cereal, snacks, and what not.  This certainly helps, but no matter what we spend about $2,000 on this shopping trip.  Once all items are bought we then take them back to the motel, pack the goods into totes, zip tie them.  The final stop is the airport post office to mail our food to ourselves.

We do buy cheese and salami meats but those are frozen and we carry them in our bags that will fly with us.  Some salamis don't need to be cool until you open them which is great as they go in the totes.






All I can say is thank you Christian a million times over for being such a great packer/organizer.  I totally fail in this department!


Yarn

Once back in the village my first package was yarn that the Knit 'N Needle  sent up to me from Montana.  I love Harrisville Design yarn it is one of my favorite 100% wool yarns.  They have rich colors and the yarn is full of life!


This yarn will be used with some quivit that I have been given.  This Berroco Ultra Alpaca.

Malabrigo most likely for a hat or felted baby booties.

Blue Sky Suri for linings in mittens, hats, or cuffs.


Once back in the village there have been a few changes.  The radio station now has a fun bright mural on the little addition they built.


We now have these huge rocks lining the beach road to help protect the shore line from erosion from our fall storms.


Work, yeap I am here to work.  August inservice with a bit of knitting, lots of tea, while learning the ins and outs of our new math program.




Tundra mushrooms which have been plentiful this year.  I am not picking these mushrooms.  I just enjoy seeing them popping up through the tundra ground cover.

When we return tot he village the Fireweed is in full bloom and coming to the end of summer.  When the Fireweed reaches the top of the stalk with blooms then summer will be coming to end.
Cotton grass which is always fun to see.  It reminds me of snow and a Jan Brett's book: Trouble With Trolls.



Tundra berries: top photo we have cranberries, the middle photo you can see blueberries, and a pale salmon berry also known as cloud berries in Sweden.  Salmon berries are not my favorite berries.  Finally having a nice hot tea break on the tundra in the rain!  Thus the reason rain gear was made . . . I am not one to wait for a nice day every day is a nice day as long as I can get out!


PDS DK yarn left over from some other projects.  I am knitting up a pair of opposite socks as best I can . . . I know I am going to run out but that was the point.


A Great Raining Day Ride! 

My friend Robin called one morning wanting to know if I would like to ride up to North River Bridge, and then shuttle her dog Kuvi back home.  Well of course I would!  Robin has a packraft and she hauled that up on her back.  This is the point of the packraft it is design for being hauled over the place and when needed you inflate it and paddle.  It is a really cool thing!

Mud---yeap it was muddy and wet ride!

Old cabin for a dry out, tea break, and raft inflating.

This huge bladder is used to inflate the raft really in minutes!

Packraft ready to go!

Where all the trees are in the distance is the river that we left Robin.  Kuvi and I are riding home and the fall colors are just beginning to change.

Tundra and landscape . . . I just love it!

Windmills which help cut electrical costs to the villagers.

Lets say enough!  I agree, Tally! I am caught up with the blog.  I feel like I can now work on my new goal!  Stay off of Facebook and use the nice old fashion blog which is a bit out of style but so am I!







Comments

shandy said…
Wonderful pictures of the tundra! I do enjoy reading about your way of life in such a different part of the world. I wonder if you read "Dances with Wool", and how her cold conditions would compare.
knitski said…
Thank you! I have seen that name and will look it up as well. Presently we are getting a lot of rain. I imagine we look like your part of the world now!
Heston Folks said…
Hello,
Just wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog. With family and friends in both Alaska and Montana, I find it familiar and fun to see your photos and read your writings. I know how much work it is to keep up a blog (alas, mine is currently languishing, but you do get me inspired to get going again!), and I want to say thank you. I appreciate it!
Barb G in Northern Minnesota
knitski said…
Thanks for your kind words! It is always a treat to get a comment as you know on your blog. I hope you get your blog up and running again. I look forward to reading your blog!
Jules said…
I like your blog! What a different and interesting life up there in Alaska. The scenery is beautiful. Keep up the blogging--much more fun than Facebook! Cheers :-)