Spring Tundra and a Bit of Knitting

Spring is here and we have made it through the worst of the muddy season and now dust seems to have arrived.  It is a bit dryer than normal here which I do have concerns about.  Alaska's fire season has started already.  We have a fire season in spring into early summer up north.  It is really amazing how fast the tundra can and does dry out.

School is almost over just 5 more days after today and I am soooooo looking forward to my break!  I love my job but as a long time teaching friend told me years ago, "Teaching a years worth of worked packed into 9mos. you deserve a free summer to rest and to get ready to jump right back into the classroom again."  I could not agree more!

I have turned in my skis for my hiking boots.  I am out on the tundra almost every day walking with "The Girls" as I call the dogs.  Soon that tundra will be bursting with green plant life.  The temperatures have hit the hi-40s and have broken into the low 50s.  The tundra is not freezing at night and with the long hours of sunshine it will change dramatically now from winter brown to lush summer green.

Spring time tundra ready to explode into various shades of green!
PDS Yarn one of my favorite yarns hand dyed in Whitefish , Montana at my favorite yarn shoppe! Another pair of highly functional socks.

I am totally smitten by lichen . . .

My Blaíthín, Kate Davies design, sweater which is now off the needles and waiting for buttons.

My disappearing ski trail in the distance but have not fear it will return about next October if the Snow Gods and Mother Nature play nice!

Comments