Canyons and Ice: The Wilderness Travels of Dick Griffith Written by: Kaylene Johnson

I read a wonderful book over Christmas break. Canyons and Ice written by Kaylene Johnson. The book is about "The Wilderness Travels of Dick Griffith". All of the river rats out there should read about Dick Griffith's Grand Canyon travels before it was dammed (https://www.facebook.com/canyonsandice). If you are intrigued by Arctic travel/adventure you would enjoy this book. A big thanks to Robin who lent me this great read! I loved it! Robin, Dick was in fact a great friend of the late Jerry Dixon who skied to UNK. Jerry used to send us used ski gear when we were first trying to get skiing going here in Unalakleet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1467509345

There are several Independent book stores carrying this book as well and they are listed on the website above.

I have always love travel adventure books.  I am not sure why I am drawn to this genre, other than when I am inside, I can still enjoy someone else's adventures from a comfortable spot. I do know, I am drawn to these tough as nails adventurers who couldn't say NO and just had to go no matter how tough, remote, or challenging the under taking.

A few of my favorite quotes from the book by Dick Griffith:

"Life is like a bicycle. When you stop moving, you tip over." p. 242

" . . . All my life I avoided the 'what ifs' especially those made by friends, family, and parents.  The 'what ifs' impede moving forward and prevent one from taking risks." p. 246

"I have a life wish, not a death wish." p. 252

"The best thing about getting old is that it doesn't last very long." p.265

Comments

Lynn said…
I am always looking for good reads! Thanks! Love your blog too!