1st day of Skiing for the 2013/2014 Ski Season

I have always loved winter and snow!  It amazes me that there are people out there that don't love winter.  I don't know why I love this season so much.  I am not sure if it is the silence, the tidiness that fresh snow brings to the world, or the coziness I feel from a world wrapped in white.   

Many of you are looking at this photo and thinking that looks like a lot of grass you are skiing on there!  We have skied on more grass than this before and I am sure we will again!  I have learned living in rural Alaska one is not nearly as pick as when you are in the lower 48.   The other added bonus is skis slide well on tundra plants that are sticking up through the snow.  It is a case of the cup is half  full or half empty.  



Living where we live enables us to be able to ski a LOT!  I mean a LOT!  Since being here, I have skied at least 100 days a ski season.  Last year, I was able to get in 130 days on skis!  I would like to break that personal record this year if possible.  Skiing isn't about the amount of days one skis and I know this.  So why do I keep track of my ski days:  I keep track of my skiing so days off don't take over.  This way I get out the door as much as possible and why I try to encourage others to get out the door!  Being outside is simply a wonderful way to forget about daily issues and to be healthy! 

Gliding along on my skis over the tundra or through the woods is something I simply love to do! 
In the end, to ski is to travel fast and free - free over untouched snow country. To be bound to one slope, even one mountain,  by a lift may be convenient but it robs us of the greatest pleasure  that skiing can give, that is to travel through the wide wintery  country; to follow the lure of peaks which tempt on the horizon and  to be alone for a few days or even hours in clear, mysterious surroundings.

Comments