So you may be asking where's the WOOL!

Yes I do knit and I do have a current project.  It is off the needles for the most part----snicker-snicker.  If you are a knitter you know that if a project is off your needles there is finish work.  I am now in the process of finish work.  I used to really dislike finish work.  Now, I enjoy it as finish work goes fast and there tends to be a nice variety of little jobs.

This sweater is from one of my very favorite knitting dynasties Schoolhouse Press.  If you are a knitter and have not discovered Schoolhouse Press please have a look!  The sweater was posted in Wool Gathering issue #68 and is the Drop-Shoulder Cardigan.  Elizabeth Zimmermann was the founder and now her daughter Meg Swansen carry on her great fiber tradition.  Meg's son Cully is also carrying the torch forward.  I love using EZ's percentage system which once you learn and use you will love (or at least I think you should).  I use the percentage system all the time and use patterns as a guide.  I find the percentage system very liberating.  It is a bit like not staying inside the lines when coloring!



 This is a crochet steek.  I use this technique often.  The sweater is knit in the round and then a chain of crochet is used joining half of two knit sts.  Once done you cut the bars of yarn and this creates a cardigan in this case.  The grey yarn is used as a guide for cutting.  

This is another steek for the arm opening.

And with all knitting one may need to frog.  Frogging is the "ripping out" of your knitting work.  I have to admit this is a normal part of knitting.  One sleeve was longer than the other.  I needed to frog the color work and add a few rows in green and re-do the color work.

Success the sleeve and color work corrected.

Now this was a challenge I worked on for 2 days and the said FOR GET IT!  See don't be afraid to do your own thing in knitting.  The shoulders had an icord bind off which in theory I like.  However, in this sweater, it looked like I had a giant worm crossing my shoulders.  After a lot of work, I tossed out the worm and did a nice 2 needle bind off and it looks great!

Joining the sleeve to the body.  On the sleeve I did a purl row before casting off. Then when you sew the sleeve to the body you get a bit of a design feature I like both some texture and a bit of color.

The sweater before the button band.  One of the design features I love is the Latvian Braid.  This technique is fairly easy to learn if you just follow the directions to a "T".  I was able to get both sides mirrored as well as the back.

The 2 needle bind off after tossing out the icord worm look.

The button band was knitted on one long needle, with mitered corners.

Here is the sweater which is now off the needles but in need of finish work.  Ends need to be weaved in, buttons sewn on, body and sleeves hemmed and then a nice block.

Yarn:  I used Bartlett Yarn for this sweater.  This yarn  can be purchased form the company or from Schoolhouse Press.  I am a pretty traditional knitter.  I like 100% wool for almost everything.  I like yarn that has "ganas" a Spanish word for balls/toughness meaning it is a workhorse yarn.  It may feel a bit rough at first but with blocking and wearing it becomes very soft.  This type of yarn hardly pills if at all.

I love color work and Aran sweaters.  I don't like lace!  I am in awe of lace knitters.

This sweater is called Mixed Berries.  This is what I named it.  I love berries and my work usually has a connection to the outside world.  The thoughts behind this sweater is the green is the plants that berries grow on.  The raspberry and blue color represent raspberries (my favorite), blueberries, and huckleberries that poke out from the green leafy plants they grown on.


Comments

Lynn said…
It looks wonderful. And what a journey it has been. AND i feel like I was there!
knitski said…
Thank you! It was a long project but the end result is worth having a wonderful sweater to wear this fall and winter.